CARITAS – LAST CHANCE
G.L. Watson & Co. has discovered one of the last remaining large classic Motor Yachts. Caritas is a fine example of a 1920’s Cox & Stevens-designed and Krupp-built yacht and at 48m provides the last opportunity to save and restore a large significant high pedigree interwar yacht.
Caritas has been long forgotten and our discovery of her has occurred just in time to save her from being scrapped. In her present state she is largely original with timber decks, some interior panelling and no welded repairs. The current condition of Caritas makes her an ideal candidate for restoration in the same vein as Blue Bird, Nahlin and recently Malahne and would see her re-join her restored stablemates Dona Amelia (ex Haida) and Talitha G (ex Reveller).
In her present state she is largely original with timber decks, some interior panelling and no welded repairs. All engines, pipework and wiring have been removed prior to her moving to her current location. Restored to modern superyacht standards and regulations, her interior volume will provide Owner and Guest Accommodation for 10, with a spacious Main Salon and separate Dining Room on the Main Deck. The Shade Deck is large enough to provide ample space for dining, lounging or entertaining outdoors, as well as storage for a Motor Launch, RIB and dinghies.
As is typical with American yachts of the period, the whole aft Main Deck is shaded by an elegant sun awning creating a comfortable and private space for dining and lounging above the yacht’s counter stern.
- Built 1925 for J.P. Bartram, a New York sugar magnate.
- Acquired by the Navy 1 December 1941.
- Commissioned USS Garnet (PYc-15), 4 July 1942.
- Decommissioned 29 December 1945 at San Pedro, CA.
Length: 47.7m 156’-9”
Beam: 7.8m 25’-6”
Draft: 2.9m 6’-5”